HistoryLite

For amateur historians and trivia collectors everywhere

Name:
Location: Masterton, New Zealand

I survived school history despite the best efforts of the education system to bore me to death. Many years later, I discovered Treaties, dates, the movement of nations, are mere context. The fascination is in the details.

Friday, March 24, 2006

s.s. Sussex
On 24th March 1916, the English Channel ferry s.s. Sussex had her bow blown off by a German torpedo launched from a U-Boat without warning. Casualty estimates vary from 50 to 80 injured and killed. Among them were the Spanish composer Enrique Granados and some citizens of the U.S.A - still a neutral country at that time.
This incident led to President Wilson issuing the Sussex Ultimatum on 18th April and Germany changing it's policy on attacking unarmed merchant ships.

2 Comments:

Blogger mental hygiene said...

Hi. I'm a rather new reader. Would you be able to recommend a good book with more details about this event? I am interested in learning more about the war before the US became involved. Thanks and I really enjoy your blog.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Kezya Wulandari said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along.I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Please don't forget to visit My Blog
Best Android
KitKat Launcher
Big Launcher
Anti Virus Apk
YouTube Downloader Pro Apk
MyniLyrics For Android
Thankyou ;)

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home